This is a guide for how to resolve an “Authentication Error” in Book Report.
Quick Fix: How to Get Back in Sync
If you're using Book Report with our browser extension installed:
- When you see an "Authentication Error" alert, you'll also see a link to log in to Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP).
- Click on this link. This should lead you directly to the KDP login page.
- Log in to your KDP account.
- After successful login, our system will pick up on the updated cookies, and your Authentication Error should go away, allowing you to see your latest data again.
If you're using Book Report without our browser extension:
- You'll need to return to the browser where you have the Book Report extension installed.
- Open Book Report and click the link included in the “Authentication Error” alert.
- Log in to your KDP account.
- After successful login, our system will pick up on the updated cookies, and your Authentication Error should go away, even on the other browsers or devices where you are using Book Report.
If the above steps do not work, please try logging out of KDP and logging back in.
Why Authentication Errors Occur
The "Authentication Error" alert can pop up for one of two main reasons:
- Amazon ended your session: In this case, when you click the link in the alert, it takes you to the Amazon login page. Just as your web browser displays a login page when you try to visit KDP's reports, when Book Report requests data from Amazon we are sent the login page instead of the data. Since we don't store your password, you will need to generate a new session with Amazon by logging in again. Since the data comes from Amazon’s servers, they decide how often you need to log in.
- There might be an issue with Book Report: If clicking the link does not lead you to the login page that means your Amazon session is still active. You can confirm this by downloading the Royalties Estimator report - if you can do that without being asked to log in, that means the error must have occurred on Book Report’s end.
The authentication error means that this was Amazon's response when we requested new data:
If this page is what you see when you visit KDP Reports, then we can’t update your data until you create a new session by logging into KDP in a browser with our extension installed.
Seeing the Alert Repeatedly? Here's What to Do
If you keep seeing the "Authentication Error" alert, it's typically due to one of these situations:
- Amazon is frequently ending your session: If you're being taken to the login page too often, Amazon might be ending your sessions more frequently than usual. If this is happening, you can reach out to KDP's customer service. You should report that you are being logged out of KDP Reports more often than usual. There is no need to mention Book Report in your report to KDP, as your usage of Book Report should have no effect on the duration of your sessions on KDP.
- Persistent issue with Book Report: If you're seeing the error but your KDP session is still active, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. When reaching out about this issue, I will need:
- Your Account ID (visible at the bottom of Book Report's user interface)
- The time when the error occurred
- Anything else you think may be relevant
I understand this situation can be frustrating, and I appreciate your patience and cooperation. I'm here to help, and I want to ensure any potential issues are resolved quickly.
Thank you for helping make Book Report better for everyone!